Botox, a neurotoxin protein, has many benefits for your skin. But do you know that it can be used to treat the symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorders as well?
You may benefit from therapeutic Botox for TMJ when all the other treatment methods haven't worked well. Whether it is jaw tension, headaches due to teeth grinding, or lockjaw in cases of stress, the use of Botox may ease you of such discomforts.
TMJ is sensitive to stress. When you are stressed physically, emotionally, or mentally, your muscles may tense up and lead to various problems in your mouth and jaw. This can include swelling on your face, sore cheeks and jaw pain around your ears and neck, frequent clicking noise in your jaw, bruxism, headaches, and migraines, ringing in your ears, neck or shoulder pain, and shocking type of facial pain. We administer therapeutic Botox via injection to address these concerns.
What are the Benefits of Therapeutic Botox?
We recommend Botox as a complementary treatment to other TMJ treatments such as physical therapies and nightguards, particularly when you are suffering from bruxism. Once you notice that the muscles around your TMJ are unclenched, you will experience other changes:
- You will feel a reduced frequency and intensity of headaches. If you are suffering from migraine, there will be fewer episodes.
- You will experience reduced anxiety after a few days of the first injection.
- Your sleep quality will improve.
- You wouldn't clench your teeth while asleep.
- Botox therapy will also lessen the sensitivity of your teeth.
What to Expect from Therapeutic Botox?
- During your consultation, we will discuss your concern and learn about all your symptoms. It will help us to decide the number of injections that you may need to treat the problem.
- We will give you injections mostly on your facial muscles, such as your temple, forehead, and jaw muscles. These injections do not cause discomfort. In case you experience pain or swelling, we recommend the use of an ice pack.
- You may resume your daily activities right after you leave our dental clinic. It is strictly advised not to rub or massage the site of the injection for some time.
- You will notice some improvements within 2-3 days of the treatment. It may take more than a week to fully experience the effects of the first Botox injection.
- We may call you for the next session within a few weeks of your first injection.
Please reach out to Mericle Dentistry in Simons Island, GA, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Mericle. Please call us at (912) 638-3559 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.